Monday, October 25, 2010

Reading Response

Is the piece of furniture real? How do you know if it's real or not? Explain your reasoning.

The piece of furniture in front of me right now is a desk. I know it is real because I can tangibly feel it. It is smooth and hard. I know that if and when I leave the room it will still be there. Just because I leave doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Objects around the world exist even, when you don't think they do.

Therefore, I know the object is real because I have experienced certainties and realities of the object. Yes, the table looks different to each person who sees it from different views, but it is still always going to be the same table and made up of the same matter.

1 comment:

  1. But why is there different variations of tables? Is it mainly that things exist because of there properties (i.e. has legs and a surface to put things on) rather than our prototypcial ideal?

    ReplyDelete